Besides being at an
unbearable oh-my-gosh-I-think-I’m-melting temperature, the month of August has been pretty wonderful in this little life of mine… Here are the things I loved most.
In the kitchen/at home:
- Learning to cook/bake with coconut flour to help my handsome husband transition to being grain-free for a while. Who knew you could make incredible southern fried chicken… and not have to feel guilty about it? Next up, I think I’m going to try my hand at this banana bread.
- Getting my first shipment of 100% grass-fed, unflavored gelatin in so I can try my hand at making homemade marshmallows and these gummies – So excited to finally have a few better-for-you “junk” food items back around the house!
- Finally mastering the art of a hard-boiled egg! You’d think with all the other more “complicated” cooking tasks I can perform… I would have figured this one out a long time ago!
- Gearing up to try out a new body butter recipe (up to this point, I’ve been keeping my moisturizing routine simple with just coconut oil).
- Starting my first ever batch of water kefir (a fermented, home-made soda). To this point, I’ve made strawberry, blackberry cream, and blackberry (which I’m sipping on as we speak!) Yum
In the blogosphere/internet world:
- Loving the new design we just launched for Honest to Goodness Living! Free free to explore and stay a while
- Embracing simplicity by sharing that the real food lifestyle doesn’t have to be “hard,” be it transitioning in two steps, four steps, or with a list of easy steps to turn any recipe into a “real food” recipe.
- Learning more about VitaminK2… and reminded once again why it’s so important to eat REAL butter!
- Having way too much fun pinning recipes and what not to my Pinterest board. You can follow me here!
On keeping my glass half full:
- Having an insane week of allergy attacks (still going on, btw) and annoying my co-workers (and myself) to the point of insanity with my sneezing… oops, do you sense some sarcasm here? Fortunately, I managed to maintain a smile, especially when a fellow blogger came to the rescue with this post.
With my friends and family:
- Sharing with my gluten-intolerant seester (my sister-in-law’s nickname…because our love goes so far beyond the “in-law”) about the glories of the GAPS diet and why I think it’d be a good fit for her! Love that my research and incessant amount of time surfing the various Real Food Media blogs (which I’m officially a member of now – Yay!) is becoming a RARFK (Random Act of Real Food Kindness – yeah, I just made that up) that I can pass along!
- Reconnecting with close friends and family during a few quick weekend trips home, including my sweet friend Lauren and her son (my god-son) Jonathan.
- Visiting my best friend for the first time since she moved to Los Angeles, getting to visit Paramount Studios (and experiencing my first Hollywood celeb sighting!), spending some incredible praise and worship time at the beach with old & new friends, and getting to check out some amazing local, real food eateries in the area! (And subsequently getting to talk to her about the amazing opportunity she has to fight GMOs as a Cali resident!)
What was your favorite thing about August?